Welcome to The Ghana Education Project
A Small Charity with Big Purpose!
We are a registered UK charity looking to support the development of education and associated infrastructure in Nkwanta, a deprived area of North East Ghana.
Our founder trustee Gill Norris has coordinated our efforts in Nkwanta on a voluntary basis since she moved to live there in June 2004. Gill was awarded the MBE for her work with young people both in Ghana and in the UK.
The charity works closely with local Ghanaian authorities and teaching groups in order to achieve our goals.
The Kyabobo School for Girls, which opened in September 2013 continues to flourish with its fourth intake of pupils in September 2016
300 girls are now enrolled at out at our beacon school in Nkwanta. Read more .....
Our campaign to seek sponsorship for school places is now under way - read more
To date the Project has:
- built the Kyabobo Centre, a Sports, Arts and Culture centre, the largest community venue in the region
- run training courses for teachers in English, Science and Maths and provided supporting resources.
- developed a literacy project to help Primary School pupils
- initiated the Nkwanta Award scheme.
- built and equipped a guest house for visiting volunteers/training staff and also paying guests (to generate income)
- organized container shipments from the UK of school, medical and sports equipment
- financed, restored and equipped buildings for educational resources and the local Wildlife Division
Donations are needed for current projects and can be made on www.justgiving.com and potentially qualify for gift aid tax relief.